Since the outbreak of Covid-19, the adoption of video conferencing technology has skyrocketed around the globe.
From remote working to virtual classrooms and staying connected with friends, video calling proved to be an invaluable tool throughout the pandemic.
Now, in a post-pandemic world, the popularity of this communication channel remains - with an increasing number of businesses using video conferencing for customer interactions.
It’s why more and more brands are choosing to embed video conferencing on their website, allowing them to connect better with their site visitors and digital customers.
That being said, the task of finding and implementing a video chat solution for your website can be a daunting one.
Fortunately, we’ve created this essential, step-by-step guide to help you through the process. We’ll cover:
- What is video conferencing?
- The benefits of adding video chat to your website
- How to integrate video conferencing into your website: 5 steps
- Getting started with video chat for your website
What is video conferencing?
Video conferencing is a technology that enables participants to engage in real-time conversations via video chat.
This allows users to simulate a face-to-face interaction experience, despite being physically distant from each other.
Video conferencing relies on internet connectivity and specialized video call software. It also requires access to a device equipped with a camera and microphone (e.g. a computer, laptop, or smartphone).
Many businesses already utilize video conferencing tools like Zoom or Microsoft Teams for remote working and virtual meetings.
However, while these platforms can be useful for workplace collaboration, they can’t be integrated into your website - nor were they built with customer communication in mind.
So, when it comes to using video conferencing for customer interactions, you’re better off finding a video chat solution that was specifically designed for this purpose.
By doing so, you’ll provide a superior customer experience and a seamless digital journey for your website visitors.
Why add video chat to your website/apps?
In today’s digital era, adding video conferencing to your website can benefit both your business and customers in numerous ways. These include:
- Improved communication: Video chat enables agents to establish clearer and more effective communication with customers. The visual and audio dynamic of video conferencing enhances understanding, reduces misinterpretation, and allows for non-verbal cues, leading to more productive customer conversations.
- Faster resolutions: The improved communication that video chat provides also makes for faster and more efficient problem-solving. With video, agents can assess and understand customer issues with greater speed and clarity. Customers can use their camera, screen-share, and/or cobrowsing to visually demonstrate the problem and collaborate with an agent to reach a solution. It’s why Talkative customers have found that interactions are resolved 60% faster when they take place over video chat.
- A better customer experience: Video conferencing enhances the digital customer experience by providing a more personalized and interactive engagement channel. Customers feel valued and attended to when they can see and interact with a real person who can address their concerns directly. This personal touch boosts CSAT rates and can help build customer loyalty.
- Increased conversions: Video interactions with customers can play a crucial role in increasing online sales. With video calls, businesses can provide personalized product demonstrations, answer customer questions in real time, and address any hesitations or concerns immediately. The ability to showcase products visually and provide tailored sales pitches can significantly influence purchasing decisions and increase conversion rates. Case in point, Talkative customers have found that consumers are 4x more likely to make a purchase when they engage in a video chat.
How to integrate video conferencing into your website
Now that you understand the benefits of video conferencing, the next step is to add video chat capabilities to your website and.
In this section, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide to help you find and implement the right video conferencing solution for your business.
1. Determine your requirements
Before you integrate video conferencing into your website, you need to define your specific requirements for the video chat functionality.
These requirements will vary depending on your needs, goals, industry, and the size of your business or contact center.
The following are some key considerations to help you with this step:
- Video conferencing purpose: It’s important to define the purpose behind incorporating video conferencing into your website. Is it for general customer support, online sales, remote consultations, or a combination? Understanding the primary use cases will help you select a video chat solution that caters to your specific needs.
- Usage volume: Think about the size of your customer support teams and how many agents will be available to handle customer video calls. Consider the volume of video chat requests you’ll expect to receive once your chosen solution has been integrated. These figures will impact the training and implementation process, plus the scalability requirements and pricing plans offered by video chat providers.
- Integrations: It’s preferable that the video conferencing software you choose is compatible with any existing platforms, systems, or CRM channels that you already have in place. This will make the implementation process smoother and help you provide a seamless experience for your customers. You also need to decide whether you want to integrate video conferencing into your app and messaging channels as well as your website.
- Additional features: Think about whether you want your video conferencing experience to offer any additional features. Do you just want a basic, run-of-the-mill video conferencing solution? Or would rather invest in a more advanced platform with extra capabilities like cobrowsing, screen sharing, on-demand and scheduled video calls, etc?
- Office space: Consider how many agents you’ll need to handle customer video chats. Do you currently have the office space to accommodate this? And will you be able to position your team so that there’s no one appearing in the background during video calls? If not, you’ll need a video chat solution that supports virtual backgrounds or blurring.
- Scalability: Assess whether your video chat needs are expected to grow or change in the future. If so, you’ll need to choose a video chat provider that can accommodate different user demands and scale your plan up or down as required.
- Security: Determine the security and data protection measures required for your video chat usage. Depending on your industry or region, you may need to comply with specific regulations, such as CCPA in the US and GDPR in the European Union.
By carefully considering these factors and defining your requirements, you’ll gain a clearer understanding of the capabilities you need from a video chat solution.
This process will enable you to evaluate your options and choose the most suitable provider for your brand and website.
2. Find the right video chat provider
Now that you’ve set out your requirements for a video conferencing solution, it’s time to find a video chat provider that can cater to them.
This step will be a process of market research and exploring the options available to you in order to find a solution that best aligns with your needs and goals.
In addition to the list of requirements you established in the first step, there are other important factors to consider when evaluating a potential video chat provider:
- Reputation and reliability: Make sure that your chosen video chat provider has a solid reputation and a track record of reliable service. You can gauge a provider’s performance and reliability through research and by reading through their customer testimonials. Take a look at Talkative’s customer case studies as an example of this.
- Customer support: It's important to ascertain the level of customer support provided by any video chat provider before you sign up. A responsive support system is essential for ensuring that you can quickly resolve any technical issues or concerns that arise during the deployment or usage of a video chat platform. It’s why Talkative has a Customer Success team to work with our clients and provide 24/7 SLA support.
- Pricing: Consider the cost of implementing video customer support and calculate your budget. Decide what kind of pricing model and payment schedule would work best for you, then look for a provider that can accommodate these needs. Some providers (Talkative included!) even offer a free-trial period, allowing you to test out their platform and video chat software before committing to a paid plan. This may be a great option for you if you’re torn between different options.
- Future development: Be sure to research any potential provider’s commitment to innovation and continuous improvement. Check if they release regular product updates and new features to enhance the video chat experience. Staying up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends ensures that your website’s video chat functionality remains competitive and offers an optimal user experience
By carefully considering these factors and assessing your options, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your brand’s specific requirements and supports your business goals effectively.
3. Configure your video chat preferences
Once you’ve signed up with your chosen video conferencing provider, you’ll gain access to a console or settings page where you can configure your preferences.
With the Talkative platform, for example, you’ll be able to configure a range of video chat settings and preferences, including:
- Agent/customer controls: Our enhanced agent controls allow you to configure agent and customer capabilities during video chat sessions. These controls include the agent’s ability to turn a customer’s camera or microphone on/off, the customer’s ability to turn their camera or microphone on/off, and whether an agent can invite external experts to the call.
- Branding and customization: With our flexible widget editor, you can customize your video chat widget and interface so that it aligns with your branding and website design/colors. This will capture customer attention and engage more site visitors, encouraging them to start a video interaction.
- Recording and monitoring options: When it comes to monitoring and analytics, you can utilize capabilities like video chat monitoring, video call recordings, and/or video chat transcripts. This will help you to monitor agent performance and assess the overall effectiveness of your video conferencing services.
- Additional features: In addition to video calls, you’ll have the option to offer a variety of additional features, such as screen-sharing, cobrowsing, multiparty video chats, and virtual backgrounds or blurring. These can be enabled or disabled according to your specific needs.
Configuring your video chat settings so that they align with your brand and business needs is crucial as it helps create a consistent and optimal user experience - for both your customers and your agents.
4. Embed the video conferencing code
Once you’ve configured your video chat preferences, you’ll be provided with a code snippet that’ll enable integration with your website.
In order to execute this step yourself, you’ll need to carefully follow the guidelines and instructions provided by your chosen provider.
You may choose to have video conferencing capabilities throughout your entire website or only on certain site pages.
It all depends on your use case and at what stage in the digital journey you want customers to initiate a video call.
Although you can carry out this step yourself, it’ll likely be far easier and more efficient to seek assistance from your video chat provider.
That’s why, at Talkative, we have a dedicated Customer Success team who are always on hand to help with the onboarding and deployment process.
By working with them throughout implementation, you’ll be able to successfully configure and integrate a bespoke video chat experience that fulfils all of your brand’s needs and requirements.
5. Monitor & optimize performance
Once video conferencing functionality is integrated into your website, it’s important to continuously monitor and optimize its performance.
Managing your video chat performance and striving to improve is essential for long-term success and customer satisfaction.
- Number of video calls
- Average Handling Time
- CSAT (customer satisfaction) score
- First Call Resolution Rate
- Conversion Rate
- Average Wait Time
- Abandonment Rate
- Website visitors to video interactions ratio
This data will allow you to assess the overall success of integrating video calls into your website and identify any areas you need to improve upon.
Many video chat solutions will come with a range of reporting and analytics tools to help you with this step.
The takeaway: Getting started with video chat for your website & app
By implementing video conferencing on your website, you’ll be able to offer a more personal and interactive customer experience.
But you need the right video chat solution for your business. One that’s specifically tailored to your individual business needs and goals.
That’s where Talkative comes in.
Our solution provides a complete suite of customer contact channels that’ll empower your agents to connect instantly, and effortlessly, with all your digital customers.
As a primary feature of our platform, Talkative’s innovative video chat solution comes with a myriad of features to help you engage and convert more customers - from multiparty video calls to next-level analytics, deep integrations into other platforms like Salesforce, virtual backgrounds, and much more.
It means you’ll be fully equipped to wow your high-value customers with an innovative video experience they won’t find elsewhere.
Want to learn more?
Book a demo with us today and discover how you can power premium video chat customer service with Talkative.